Riot has revealed the format of Valorant Champions 2022, set to take place in Istanbul, Turkey from August 31 to September 18.
The 16 attending teams will be split into four double-elimination groups. The top two from each group will advance to the eight-team double-elimination playoffs. All matches will Bo3 except the grand final and lower bracket final, which will be Bo5.
The overall format mirrors that of last year's event, with the notable difference being the switch from single-elimination to double-elimination playoffs.
The randomly-drawn initial group stage matchups are:
- Paper Rex Paper Rex Asia-Pacific Rank #1 vs. EDward Gaming EDward Gaming China Rank #1
- Leviatán Leviatán Latin America South Rank #1 vs. Team Liquid Team Liquid Europe Rank #3
- OpTic Gaming OpTic Gaming North America Rank #1 vs. BOOM Esports BOOM Esports Asia-Pacific Rank #3
- ZETA DIVISION ZETA DIVISION Japan Rank #1 vs. LOUD LOUD Brazil Rank #1
- FunPlus Phoenix FunPlus Phoenix Europe Rank #1 vs. KRÜ Esports KRÜ Esports Latin America South Rank #2
- XSET XSET Inactive vs. XERXIA Esports XERXIA Esports Asia-Pacific Rank #2